HRM/Hants and Holiday Restrictions
Current restrictions in areas of Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) and Hants County are extended to December 21, and new restrictions will be in place provincewide over the holidays to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Recreation and Sport Facility Specific Details:
Effective 12:01 a.m. on December 21 to 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 10, the following restrictions are in place provincewide:
- social events, festivals, special events, arts/cultural events and sports events are not permitted
- fitness and sport and recreation facilities can open
- fitness facilities like gyms and yoga studios can operate at 50 per cent capacity and must ensure three metres distance between participants during high intensity activities
- outdoor fitness classes can operate at full capacity and must ensure three metres distance between participants during high intensity activities
- sports practices, training and arts and culture rehearsals are limited to 25 participants without physical distancing but games, tournaments and performances are not permitted
- Nova Scotians are still asked to avoid any unnecessary travel. There is no longer a recommendation specifically around travel into and out of areas of HRM and Hants County.
Update/Clarification From Government – December 17th, 2020
In addition to the announcements made yesterday regarding the new restrictions going into effect on December 21st til January 10th, 2021, please note that spectators are not permitted for any activity, including practices. Groups of 25 without social distancing, are allowed on the ice/in a program, including staff, with no spectators or officials allowed.
Recreation hockey leagues can scrimmage as long as they remain a consistent group of 25, no officials are used, and they continue to follow the Hockey NS Rebound Plan (self-screening, registry, and hygiene). Groups must play within the same 25 participants for the duration of these restrictions. For example, a league with 4 teams cannot have Team A vs Team B week 1, then Team A vs Team C week 2. They must play within the same group of 25 while these restrictions remain in place. This is an effort to limit social contacts to prevent the spread of COVID-19 during this pandemic. Consistency of contacts, combined with proper hygiene and following all public health protocols, is essential.
These restrictions apply to organized physical activity such as open skates and open swims. You must follow the limit of 25 participants without social distancing – or 50% of capacity as long as you can maintain social distancing.
More details and the full news release can be found here.